About the Library

The Garwin library opened its doors  for the first time on August 29, 1936, with tea and wafers served throughout the day to celebrate the occasion. Sharing space with a local dentist office, the library’s collection grew to 1,600 books within seven months with as many as 65 books checked out each day. The library was run exclusively by volunteers for over two decades, until a part-time librarian was hired in 1958. The library moved to its next location in March 1960. After many decades in that building, it was again moved to its current location across from the GMG high school in 2013/2014. It continues to serve the community, open five days each week.